And EVERY time, they remind us that:
- In the event of an emergency or loss of pressure, oxygen masks will come down and
- You must put your own mask on first before putting on your child’s or helping anyone else
We as mothers have a hard time ever putting ourselves before our children/husband/family. I pray to never be in such a situation that I would have to put oxygen masks on…..I’d say we had enough of that when our miracle baby girl was born 2 months early and on oxygen for 8 months, but that’s another story.
But don’t forget mom!! This heavy reliance on mom for so many things makes it that much more important that we take care of ourselves: our physical, mental & spirtitual selves – so that we have the energy, patience, love and peace to care for those around us.
Physical Body Care: Mothers need to keep their bodies in prime condition to avoid consequences down the road and to help maintain greater levels of energy, lower levels of stress, and good feelings of self esteem.
- Exercise: cardiovascular, strength & flexibility
- Get sleep (when you can!)
- Nutrition: try to include plenty of water, fruits, veggies, lean proteins & whole grains
Time Alone: Again, while mothers usually have very busy schedules, fitting in even fifteen minutes a day for some quite time alone can bring valuable benefits. Try to wake up early so you have a little time before everyone needs you. Take time out for exercise, journaling, meditation, or just being alone with one’s thoughts. It’s so easy to lose yourself to your relationship roles and just define yourself as overwhelmed mom, wife, etc. Some time alone will help you stay in touch with who you are outside of these roles.