We had my 4 yr old’s field trip to Pump it Up last week and I was surprised at how much fun I had too! I spent the entire 2 hours climbing through bouncy mazes and obstacle courses, hoisting my 2 yr old Shayla up climbing walls and through tunnels. I was thoroughly worn out when we left!
I started thinking about “play time” and realized that I’ve become so consumed and focused on my multitude of responsibilities that I subconsciously shunned playtime because I just didn’t have time.
Many adults (like me!) see play as a luxury that must be“ squeezed in”. This article will show you that this view is misguided. “Infusing play into your day can keep you emotionally balanced and can reduce stress. People who avoid play may become lost in the world of fear, anger, and obsessive worry. Play provides us with an opportunity to choose positive alternatives to struggle and worry.”
TOP TEN REASONS TO PLAY by Marianne St. Clair
- Play can inspire you to think differently
- Playing can bring greater joy into your life
- Play is known to reduce stress
- Playing on a regular basis can increase longevity
- Play can reduce struggle, conflict, and worry
- Play can increase your sense of lightness
- Play can stimulate the imagination, curiosity, and creativity
- Playing softens the heart — as the heart becomes malleable, the risk of hypertension and depression decrease
- Play can greatly enhance your energy levels
- Play can provide you with an opportunity to take risks